English colloquialisms/phrases/words on the left...the American equivalent on the right
Aubergine: Eggplant
Bint: a whore
Bits and bobs: bits and pieces, random stuff, everything
Biscuit: a thick, dry, crumbly cookie. But also a cracker of sorts? Cookies don't exist really. See digestive.
Bloke: a dude, chap, guy, etc
Can't be bothered: I don't care enough to do this
Cheeky: Smart ass [me]
Cheeky Monkey: term of endearment for a sarcastic/smart ass [I've been called this by 3 diff colleagues]
Chips: Thick french fries
Cinema: Movie Theater
Courgette: Zucchini!
Crisps: Potato Chips
Digestive: like a thinner cookie meant for dipping in tea?
Dodgy: janky, unsafe, sketchy
Fancy: like, as in "I fancy your face"
Film: a movie
Get it sorted: get your shit together
Git: idiot, fool
Hanging: really hungover
Have a wee: go pee
Hoover: Vacuum cleaner
Hoover: Vacuum cleaner
Jumper: sweater
Kit: all of your sport clothes/stuff
Knickers: underwear
Knackered: tired
Mate: amigo, friend, brah
Mosher: Emo kid
Muppet: idiot, jackass
Nutter: crazy fool
Pants: under-roos!
Pikey: a skanky gypsy-like person...may or may not rob you
Pipe down: shut up your face.
Pipe down: shut up your face.
Plaster: band-aid
Pratting around: messing around, tooling around
Power cut: Power Outage
Pupil: student
Queue: a line for something
Quid: slang term for a pound, much like 'buck' is to 'dollar'
Revising: studying/preparing for an exam
Rubbish: Trash, "I am rubbish" = "I suck"
Slag: Slut
Sod it: F it, Screw it
Taking the piss: make fun of someone
Taking the mick: see above
Tidy up: cleaning up
Tracksuit: sweats
Trainers: running shoes/tennis shoes/sneakers
Trouser: pants! But be careful, British pants are American undergarments. Confusing, yes.
Vest: a tank top...see waistcoat for further confusion
Waistcoat: an American vest...something worn by hipsters, or as a part of a suit
You alright?: Normal greeting that replaces the American "how are you?" when you see someone
No comments:
Post a Comment