Dear Chaz with the squinty eye,
Pack up your catnip, WE ARE GOING TO BOSTON!!
When I woke up this morning, I had to figure out if yesterday was a dream... Since I really did get into Tufts and I really do live in London, the only logical conclusion is that I am LIVING MY DREAM. Officially. As if the fact that I have an amazing parents/family/cat/friends, [who have always supported me no matter what path I chose] wasn't enough, I got into my number one choice for grad school. Wow! Tufts is the only program that I applied to that targeted both my interests in biomedical sciences AND public health. Being in London has made me realize that I have to pursue both... I need the knowledge and learning of science and the 'making a difference' bit of public health. I can't really just go one way or the other.
Program details:
Overall: based in the heart of downtown Boston, just down the street from the Boston Commons in Chinatown. 70-ish spots. The top 10% of the program automatically get an interview w/ Tufts medical school. Not sure if that really applies to be, but it is still cool. On the whole, the program is designed to prepare students for future careers in medicine, dentistry, vet med, public health, or biomedical research. It is a realllllly good foundation to have. It is really similar to what Meg did before Vet school. I am pretty sure I am going to get my ass kicked. haha. But I have been doing some research and a lot of students who have taken it said that the teachers really want you to succeed and are really supportive and always want to help.
Year One: Biomedical Sciences! follows the first year medical student curriculum exactly- down the test schedule. The differences: the masters program has smaller classes, more academic support in terms of tutors, and baller advising/academic counseling resources.
MBS curriculum includes: Biochemistry, Anatomy/Dissection, Physiology, Immunology, Cell, Organ, and Tissue biology, Pathology, and intro to Clinical Medicine [you actually get patient contact!!! that does not exist any where else]. There is also an MCAT workshop... and electives for public health. It is taught by the SAME faculty that teach the med students in the same facilities. The med students get their lectures in the morning, we get ours in the afternoon. Hello, legitimacy.
Year Two: Masters of Public Health! Concentration: Health Services Management & Policy
How kick ass? soooo kick ass.
-This program is the only one I have seen that you can get a Masters in Public Health in 1 year.... Usually is 1.5-2 yr, but they have integrated the two programs enough that you can apply to the MPH after your first semester of MBS. aka 2 years = 2 degrees. Think of all the letters I will have following my name...
MPH Curriculum: Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Health Care Politics, Policies, and Progs, PH Theory, PH Economics, PH Program Evaluation, Health behavior and communication, Law in Public Health, and Health Care Organization. I think I started salivating just TYPING that. So cool so cool SO COOL.
Not sure what I will do when I am done, but I have 2 years to decide and this program will definitely help me figure it out. The cool thing is that the MPH is a stand alone degree- so I can start a career in public health when I am done if I want to. I will also be full prepared to pursue med school, a phd, or a career after this. I have to decide and reply to them by May 12th. I am 90% sure I am going to accept, but I just want to ponder a little bit. Classes start the last week of August.
Program details:
Overall: based in the heart of downtown Boston, just down the street from the Boston Commons in Chinatown. 70-ish spots. The top 10% of the program automatically get an interview w/ Tufts medical school. Not sure if that really applies to be, but it is still cool. On the whole, the program is designed to prepare students for future careers in medicine, dentistry, vet med, public health, or biomedical research. It is a realllllly good foundation to have. It is really similar to what Meg did before Vet school. I am pretty sure I am going to get my ass kicked. haha. But I have been doing some research and a lot of students who have taken it said that the teachers really want you to succeed and are really supportive and always want to help.
Year One: Biomedical Sciences! follows the first year medical student curriculum exactly- down the test schedule. The differences: the masters program has smaller classes, more academic support in terms of tutors, and baller advising/academic counseling resources.
MBS curriculum includes: Biochemistry, Anatomy/Dissection, Physiology, Immunology, Cell, Organ, and Tissue biology, Pathology, and intro to Clinical Medicine [you actually get patient contact!!! that does not exist any where else]. There is also an MCAT workshop... and electives for public health. It is taught by the SAME faculty that teach the med students in the same facilities. The med students get their lectures in the morning, we get ours in the afternoon. Hello, legitimacy.
Year Two: Masters of Public Health! Concentration: Health Services Management & Policy
How kick ass? soooo kick ass.
-This program is the only one I have seen that you can get a Masters in Public Health in 1 year.... Usually is 1.5-2 yr, but they have integrated the two programs enough that you can apply to the MPH after your first semester of MBS. aka 2 years = 2 degrees. Think of all the letters I will have following my name...
MPH Curriculum: Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Health Care Politics, Policies, and Progs, PH Theory, PH Economics, PH Program Evaluation, Health behavior and communication, Law in Public Health, and Health Care Organization. I think I started salivating just TYPING that. So cool so cool SO COOL.
Not sure what I will do when I am done, but I have 2 years to decide and this program will definitely help me figure it out. The cool thing is that the MPH is a stand alone degree- so I can start a career in public health when I am done if I want to. I will also be full prepared to pursue med school, a phd, or a career after this. I have to decide and reply to them by May 12th. I am 90% sure I am going to accept, but I just want to ponder a little bit. Classes start the last week of August.
Who wants to road trip with Chaz and I to Boston at the end of August?
Love, etc
Becca
Awesomness.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more
ReplyDelete